Here’s a check-list for you to follow
FOUR TO SIX WEEKS BEFORE THE PARTY
- Make a guest list
- Make a tentative schedule of party activities
- Decide which decorations and favors to make and which to buy
- List all supplies needed
- Plan the party menu
- Contact the Lee Curtis the Magical Wizard (But you knew that.)
TWO TO THREE WEEKS BEFORE THE PARTY
- Make/buy invitations.
- Mail or drop off invitations.
- Buy party supplies.
- Start making party decorations and favors.
- Order cake from bakery if you’re not making your own.
- Arrange for extra help.
ONE WEEK BEFORE THE PARTY
- Finish decorations and favors.
- Confirm any orders placed for cake and/or party supplies.
- Bake cake and freeze it, if making your own cake.
- Make any other foods that can be made ahead of time and store in the freezer.
- Write out a final schedule of activities for the party.
TWO to THREE DAYS BEFORE THE PARTY
- Buy remaining food for the party.
- Buy film and/or videotape.
- Check batteries for cameras, flash units and/or camcorders.
- Get an exact guest count. Tally responses and call those who haven’t responded.
ONE DAY BEFORE THE PARTY
- Finish decorating cake or pick up that cake from bakery. (To keep cake fresh, insert toothpicks along perimeter and in middle section of the cake, 1/2″ deep. Cover loosely with foil or plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator.)
- Child-proof party area.
- Decorate any indoor areas of party. (Do not decorate outside area until the day of the party. Overnight weather can damage decorations.)
- Prepare all “Do-Ahead” food.
THE DAY OF THE PARTY
- Prepare the rest of the food.
- Decorate outside party area.
- Mark the outside of the house or the party area with balloons or a sign.
- Keep your schedule of party activities handy.